Thursday, September 27, 2012

Gulp!....

Last night it had been my intent to write the usual funny and erudite blog,  evoking laughter and tear-streaked admiration for the smiling courage of the author....

yeeeeeaaah.....well....not so much.

You see, this morning Don and I fly to O'ahu for my surgery tomorrow at 7:00 a.m. Wait, you say, isn't this good news??  Why, yes, say I, this is great news!!  'cept it is still.....(gulp!)

I have to admit to having a bit of a tiff with God yesterday. Okay. Less of a tiff than maybe a full-blown four-year old hissy fit. I had made my plans on how I would spend yesterday - and snorkeling would be the highlight. No. The conditions have been great for Surfing, so that means that shoreline snorkel sites are roughly BLECH! everywhere. Okay, Plan B: go to the aquarium, hang with sharks and rays and jellies and have a beautiful drive there. I grew to love the idea of me and God driving along the beautiful Honoapi'ilani (pronounced Ho-no-a-pi-i-la-ni) Highway as it hugs the wave drenched - yet murky - coastline. I could handle some important tasks along the way. I even spent some time painting and cleaning before leaving and just felt sooooo dandy as I took off. Only to have Don call and give me an appointment for yet ANOTHER DOCTOR!! Long story, but some of my regular prescriptions had been forgotten and I had to get into a doc to get new ones yada yada yada.

That was it. Meltdown triggered. I started the nutsiness in the McDonald's parking lot, having just gotten my $1.00 tropical ice tea for my lovely afternoon. After being rude to my wonderful husband (I'm so sorry, babe!!), I then headed to the highway to get my errands done, without following up by going to the aquarium to hang with sharks and rays and jellies.

I was done. This just tore it. I was angry....and there was nary a pot to scrub. We live in a community about 10-15 minutes norths of Lahaina Town, which was now my sole destination. So, I had those few minutes to scream at God at the top of my lungs. This was likely problematic - not because my Father was going to through lightning my way, but because I looked like a lunatic, and since I have a wide-open, top-down jeep and a pretty big voice, this meant I could be heard by....lots. By the time I approached my first stop, I had calmed down, and my merciful God just led me by the hand the rest of the day. I got every errand and task accomplished, and even had time to grab Ohana Tacos (if you're in Honokowai, don't miss it!!) for Greg and me (he had been a boat trip to Lana'i with a friend - but that's a different story), before my successful visit to the local on-call doc. Church last night was amazing. Loved and prayed over. All leading to this morning....

Don is getting fidgety as I write now, be cause we need to leave in a few and I am still in jammies. Poor guy! So let me sum up:

I am going to have surgery on Friday morning to replace my left femur. Don't know if it will be full or partial, but having checked out an online journal article, I was both grossed out and amazed. God made us some crazy-msart people to invent such things!! There is also an outside chance that they have to do the same to my right upper arm - but just an outside chance...I hope. I will be in traction for five days. swell..... And then we head home for our next big visit with the head onco (Dr. Labradoodle) to learn the results of the bone biopsy and hear the game plan.

I am not sure when I will be able to write again. Feels kind of tough giving up that part of my life. But the battle is important and I am ready. God has been so merciful and good to me!! My peace has returned because I lean on HIM!! If you don't know Him...seek Him.

Thank you for your loving, funny, encouraging e-mails and notes. They are an enormous blessing.

Gotta go. No time to edit. Enjoy the typos.

No comments:

Post a Comment